Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A Crisis

We’re only halfway through the week, and I’ve already taken something precious out of it. You want to know what it is? It’s the tired moments in our lives that are the most powerful. Since Monday, I’ve been pouring lots of hours on my laptop, sculpting the second half of The Kingdom: The Quest. I nearly cracked last night.

Seriously. I was asking myself why I’m still working on this novel. I had to rearrange the map of Arman’s world again. In this second half, he does a lot of running, but I had him going over distances that are not practically possible. That triggered a crisis.

At that point, I was sitting in my office, head drooping from the map problem, and from the weight of another monstrous chapter that needed rewriting. I went to lay on my bed. I’m surprised I didn’t weep. My brain felt like iron. Where did all of the passion go, all of that rapture that got into this in the first place?

Honestly, I can’t put my finger on what exactly got me back up. All I know is that a few hours later, I had gone through my whole chapter. Better yet, I had a clear idea of what I would do next to make it better. I kept hammering, even though I didn’t have the strength to hammer. 

Something else was working there. Whatever it was, I like what it did to my story. It’s tapping into that something that keeps me coming back. It’s why I set out to self-publish in the first place. I just can’t stay away from it. And I’m going to keep on hammering until October 20 comes along, and The Kingdom: The Quest releases to the world. Bring the noise!

No comments:

Post a Comment